What is the “new imperialism”?
Topics covered include:
• Empire avowal • The Iraq War • Project for a New American Century • U.S. national defense strategies • What is the significance of oil (and strategic minerals)? • Defining themes of the new imperialism
Chapter 1, “All About Oil,” pp. 1-25, in: Harvey, David. (2003). The New Imperialism. Oxford, UK: OxfordUniversity Press.
Forte, Maximilian C. (2010). “Introduction: The ‘New’ Imperialism of Militarization, Humanitarianism, and Occupation.” In Maximilian C. Forte (Ed.), The New Imperialism, Volume 1: Militarism, Humanism, and Occupation (pp. 1-29), Montreal, QC: Alert Press.
[You can download it from:
. You can also download the whole book from
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
• Last day to apply for Spring 2013 graduation.
• Last day to apply for DEF (Deferred) or MED (Medical) notation for courses ending in December 2012.
Sunday, January 20, 2013
• Deadline for withdrawal with tuition refund from winter-term courses.
• Last day to add winter-term courses.
Optional Readings in the New Imperialism Course Pack on Reserve:
The Cold War and the New Imperialism: A Global History, 1945-2005 (Monthly Review Press, 2006) – Ch. 8, “Toward Empire,” 285-325
Imperialism Without Colonies (Monthly Review Press, 2003) – Ch. 2, “The New Imperialism,” 35-65
Craig CALHOUN, Frederick COOPER, and Kevin W. MOORE, editors
Lessons of Empire: Imperial Histories and American Power (The New Press, 2006) – Ch. 1, “The New Imperialists” (By Matthew Connelly), 19-33
The Lesser Evil: Political Ethics in an Age of Terror (Penguin Canada, 2004) – “Preface” + Ch. 1, “Democracy and the Lesser Evil,” ix-xiv + 1-24
Empire Lite: Nation-Building in Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan (Penguin Canada, 2003) – “Introduction,” 1-22
Colin MOOERS, editor
The New Imperialists: Ideologies of Empire (Oneworld Publications, 2006) – Ch. 5, “Imperial Narcissism: Michael Ignatieff’s Apologies for Empire” (By David McNally), 87-109
- Charles Krauthammer, “Victory Changes Everything,” The Washington Post, November 30, 2001
- Sebastian Mallaby, “The Reluctant Imperialist: Terrorism, Failed States, and the Case for American Empire,” Foreign Affairs, March/April 2002
- Niall Ferguson, “Welcome the new imperialism: The US must make the transition from informal to formal empire.” The Guardian, 31 October 2001
- Michael Ignatieff, “The Reluctant Imperialist,” The New York Times Magazine, August 6, 2000
- Michael Ignatieff, “Why Bush must send in his troops: Imposing a two-state solution is the last chance for Middle East peace,” The Guardian, April 19, 2002
- Michael Ignatieff, “Nation-Building Lite,” The New York Times Magazine, July 28, 2002
- Michael Ignatieff, “America’s Empire Is an Empire Lite,” The New York Times, January 10, 2003
- Michael Ignatieff, “THE AMERICAN EMPIRE; The Burden,” The New York Times Magazine, January 5, 2003 (longer version of the above)***
- Michael Ignatieff, “I Am Iraq,” The New York Times Magazine, March 23, 2003
- Michael Ignatieff, “Why Are We In Iraq? (And Liberia? And Afghanistan?),” The New York Times Magazine, September 7, 2003
- Michael Ignatieff, “Lesser Evils,” The New York Times Magazine, May 2, 2004
- Michael Ignatieff, “Democratic Providentialism,” The New York Times Magazine, December 12, 2004
- Michael Ignatieff, “The Year of Living Dangerously,” The New York Times Magazine, March 14, 2004***
- Michael Ignatieff, “Who Are Americans to Think That Freedom Is Theirs to Spread?” The New York Times Magazine, June 26, 2005***
- Michael Ignatieff, “Getting Iraq Wrong,” The New York Times Magazine, August 5, 2007
- Michael Neumann, “Michael Ignatieff: Apostle of He-manitarianism,” CounterPunch, December 8, 2003
- Mariano Aguirre, “Exporting democracy, revising torture: the complex missions of Michael Ignatieff,” Open Democracy, July 14, 2005
- Laurie Taylor, “No more Mr Nice Guy,” New Humanist, 120 (5), September/October 2005
- Charles Demers, “Sidekicks to American Empire: An interview with Linda McQuaig,” The Tyee, May 1, 2007
- CTV News, “MPs narrowly vote to extend Afghanistan mission,” May 17, 2006 (role played by Ignatieff in extending the Canadian intervention in Afghanistan)
David Harvey on The New Imperialism:
[scroll to 30:48]
- John Pilger, 2009, on the American denial of American empire:
- Download Hardt & Negri’s EMPIRE, full text, for free
- Dan Morgan, “A Debate over US ‘Empire’ Builds in Unexpected Circles,”Washington Post, August 10, 2003
Andrew Bacevich: The Imperial Presidency
- Bill Moyers Journal: Interview with Andrew Bacevich, Part 1 - Is an imperial presidency destroying what America stands for? Bill Moyers sits down with history and international relations expert and former US Army Colonel Andrew J. Bacevich who identifies three major problems facing our democracy: the crises of economy, government and militarism, and calls for a redefinition of the American way of life – August 15, 2008
- Bill Moyers Journal: Interview with Andrew Bacevich, Part 2 - Is an imperial presidency destroying what America stands for? Bill Moyers sits down with history and international relations expert and former US Army Colonel Andrew J. Bacevich who identifies three major problems facing our democracy: the crises of economy, government and militarism, and calls for a redefinition of the American way of life – August 15, 2008
- The American Empire Project